Buck O’Neill Builders embraces the idea of healthy living and protection of the environment in our projects, our office and our overall operations. Our general good building practices encompass careful use of our resources by reducing, re-using and recycling. For example, we encourage the use of solar technology and rain water harvesting by offering incentives for the installation of these technologies by not assessing our builder’s fee on these scopes of work. In addition, our management uses a company-owned NGV (natural gas vehicle) for travel throughout the Bay Area.
We can build sustainable projects by:
- Reusing salvageable materials during the deconstruction process
- Sourcing FSC-certified, engineered and reclaimed materials
- Changing concrete mix design to minimize off-gassing
- Protecting job site air quality
- Using no or low VOC paints, stains, clear finishes, adhesives and sealers
- Providing eco-friendly alternatives for home insulation
- Encouraging the use of energy efficient heating, cooling and power systems
- Encouraging the use of LED and fluorescent lighting
- Installing energy-efficient appliances, windows, toilets and other fixtures
We continually learn and execute green building practices by:
- Providing continuing education to our employees regarding sustainable building practices
- Obtaining information from our suppliers on the newest, eco-friendly products
- Aggressively encouraging our subcontractors and vendors to provide sustainable alternatives
- Using local vendors to minimize carbon footprint
- Providing all projects with computers to minimize paper waste
- Recycling on site and in office
- Encouraging everyone to be mindful of waste
Green Building Affiliations
Our company is a member of both Build It Green and The U.S. Green Building Council. Our field staff is certified with Build It Green as “Certified Green Builders” and we encourage continuing education in sustainable building practices. We have LEED Green Associates on staff to assist with the LEED certification process.
Build It Green is a membership supported non-profit organization whose mission is to promote healthy, energy and resource-efficient homes in California. For more information, you can visit www.builditgreen.org.
The U.S. Green Building Council is a non-profit community of leaders working to make green buildings available to everyone within a generation. For more information, you can visit www.usgbc.org.
Green Building Awards & Certificates
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, LEED, Gold rating for Buck O’Neill Builders for their new office in San Francisco. For more information on LEED, you can visit www.usgbc.org/leed.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, LEED, Silver rating for Buck O’Neill Builders for a single family residence in San Francisco. For more information on LEED, you can visit www.usgbc.org/leed.
GreenPoint Rated for a Buck O’Neill Builders single family residence in Palo Alto. For more information on GreenPoint Rated, you can visit www.builditgreen.org/greenpoint-rated/.